Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

Getting my day off to a good start...

Good morning!  I pray that everyone is doing well on this beautiful day that the Lord has made for us.

I just want to take a minute to share with you how daily time with God has impacted my life.  Prayer and Bible reading have pretty much always been part of my life (to some degree), but there was a time several years ago that I realized a need to really make dedicated time for God in my life each day.  I realized that I make and keep appointments with all kinds of people on a regular basis - why wasn’t I doing that with God?

I began getting up earlier (I’m a morning person) and spending the first part of each day with Him.  I started out simply committing to read my Upper Room and its suggested scriptures each day.  As time has gone by, I’ve added a variety of devotional materials and additional Bible reading to my routine.  It has really helped me get my days off to a better start, and has kept me much more grounded to face the variety of challenges life seems to throw at me.  J

There’s one other thing that has made God seem so much more “present” in my daily life -- prayer.  I generally start off my day by talking to God before I get out of bed, thanking Him for another day, asking Him to walk with me throughout whatever the day may bring, and asking Him to help me to remember He is with me when things get challenging.

I also try to pray before I begin my daily devotional time - asking God to speak to me through His word and through my other readings.  I ask Him to help me to slow down and listen for His voice, and to give me the insight I need to hear what He is trying to tell me each day.  (I’ve often been known to ask Him to hit me upside the head with whatever He needs me to hear because I’m not always good at the listening part!)

Several years ago, when I noticed that I was starting to get into a “poor me” rut, I was led to begin a “gratitude journal”.  No matter what each day brings, I have challenged myself to write down at least five things that I am grateful to God for each day.  Some days the things are obvious and easy (like a family member being released from the hospital, a new baby or a new job) - other days, I really have to work at it.

Then, I just try to stay “in touch” with God throughout my day as things come up.  I thank Him for unexpected blessings (like not getting bit by that rattlesnake I stepped over when I was mowing the yard with the push mower) and I ask Him to be with those who need Him (when I see an ambulance go by, when I pass car accident on the highway or when I hear about a friend or loved one that is going through a difficult time or illness).  I try to remember to take time to ask Him to guide me before challenging meetings with people at work, when I’m trying to make a tough decision, or when my family members (that I dearly love) are driving me NUTS!  I frequently ask Him to “zip my lips” and keep me from saying things I shouldn’t.  J  Then, I thank Him again at the end of the day for getting me that far.

I’m definitely NOT perfect, and I often kick myself for rushing into a busy day without slowing down to meditate and pray first (aren’t those the days we tend to need it most?), or when I find myself stressing out about something instead of just turning it over to God and trusting Him to work it out.  I always get around to that eventually, so why don’t I just start there and avoid the stress?!

I’ve learned that prayer does not have to be anything “fancy” with just the right words.  It’s just plain ‘ole talking to God and being still long enough to hear what He has to tell me.  What a relief it is to know that even when I don’t know what to say, the Holy Spirit does, and He will interpret it all to God FOR me.  J  The Bible says…

For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groaning which cannot be uttered.  -- Romans 8:26

As a music lover, I also tend to pray the words of my favorite hymns or other Christian music - or to pray various Psalms when I don’t really know what to say on my own.  For example, Psalm 139 is one of my favorite prayers, and I return to it often.

I believe that developing a relationship with Christ is key.  If I want to do that, it takes time and commitment - just like any other relationship does.  I have to get to know Him, and allow Him into my daily life.  He’s right there knocking at my door…I just have to let Him in!  (See Revelation 3:20)

Anyway…the bottom line is that God isn’t picky!  He just wants us to spend time in fellowship with Him.  The words we say, the time of day, the place, even what we’re wearing don’t matter.  What’s important is our willingness to humble ourselves and just spend time in His presence.  All we have to do is:

…reach up as far as we can, and God will reach down all the rest of the way.  --Anonymous--”
Blessings,
--Faithy

No comments:

Post a Comment